Feeding tube study - Hampshire


Do you have a feeding tube or do you care for someone with a feeding tube?

It could be a PEG, RIG or naso-enteral tube.

Do you live in Hampshire?

We are looking for people, over 18 years of age, to take part in a research study to find out about people s experiences of hospital admission for tube problems and what services they think would help them to avoid problems with their tube at home.

Taking part in the study involves a one to one interview with a researcher in your own home at a time that is convenient to you. The interview should take about 60 minutes.

If you would like to find out more about the study or think you would like to take part, then please contact Sue Green directly (077 8022 8473 or S.M.Green soton.ac.uk) for more details.

The study is sponsored by a National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) and Health Education England (HEE) Clinical Academic Training Programme and being undertaken at the University of Southampton.


Patient and Public Lay Advisers needed for research project advisory group

  • Do you have a feeding tube (such as a PEG, RIG or nasal tube) or do you look after someone with a feeding tube?
  • Are you over 18 years of age or do you care for someone over 18 years of age?
  • Do you live in Hampshire?
  • Do you want to contribute to the development of a research project?


I am running a research project about people receiving enteral tube feeding at home. I want to find out more about their hospital admissions and about ways to better support people to manage tube feeding at home. The project consist of three separate studies. The project is funded as part of an award given by the National Institute for Health Research and is being run in the Faculty of Health Sciences at the University of Southampton.

I am looking for people to join the Patient and Public Involvement Advisory Group for the research project. I am keen to work with people who have experience of feeding tubes and who are able to contribute to my understanding of the topic and how the research can be best used to improve practice and services.

What does being a Patient and Public Lay Adviser for the advisory group involve?

This work will involve you coming to two or three advisory group meetings a year, mostly lasting one to two hours, at a University of Southampton site. The advisory group is expected to remain in place for two years. You would work in partnership with other people with experience of enteral tube feeding.

You do not need any previous experience, just a willingness to attend meetings and to give your perspective as someone with an enteral feeding tube or experience of caring for someone with one.

The position is voluntary. Training and support will be provided. We will reimburse your travel expenses from home and pay a Patient and Public Involvement (PPI) representative honorarium.

If you are interested in finding out more please contact Sue Green, Principal Investigator at S.M.Green soton.ac.uk or telephone Bulwinder Buttar on
02381 205345 and leave your name and number and Sue will telephone you back.


Latest News