Patient and Public Lay Advisors needed

' class='news-img'/> Patient and Public Lay Advisors needed for research project advisory group


  • Do you have a feeding tube (such as a PEG, RIG or nasal tube) or do you look after someone with a feeding tube?
  • Are you over 18 years of age or do you care for someone over 18 years of age?
  • Do you live in Hampshire?
  • Do you want to contribute to the development of a research project?

If you can answer yes to all of these questions, then I would really like to hear from you!

My name is Sue Green and I am running a research project to find out more about how people manage tube feeding at home. I want to find out more about the experiences of people with feeding tubes, hospital admissions for tube problems and how people can be better supported to manage tube feeding at home.

I am looking for people to join the project s Patient and Public Involvement Advisory Group. I am keen to work with people who have experience of feeding tubes and who are able to contribute to my understanding of the topic and how the research can be best used to improve practice and services.

The project is funded by the National Institute for Health Research and is being run in the Faculty of Health Sciences at the University of Southampton.

What does being a Patient and Public Lay Advisor for the advisory group involve?

The work will involve two or three advisory meetings a year, with each meeting generally lasting one hour. The meetings will be held at the University of Southampton. It may be possible to arrange telephone meetings to reduce travel and enable the role to fit in with other commitments. Advisors will also be asked to comment on written reports of the research. The advisory group is expected to remain in place for two years. You would work in partnership with other people with experience of enteral tube feeding.

You do not need any previous experience, just a willingness to contribute to meetings, comment on the findings of the research and give your perspective. The position is voluntary. Training and support will be provided. We will reimburse your travel expenses from home and pay a Patient and Public Involvement (PPI) representative honorarium.

If you are interested in finding out more please contact Sue Green, Principal Investigator at S.M.Green or telephone Bulwinder Buttar on 02381 205345 and leave your name and number and Sue will telephone you back.


Latest News

Tube-fed patients... locked

Tube-fed patients...

Read More
HAN Week 2024 locked

HAN Week 2024

Read More
Nominations open! locked

Nominations open!

Read More
Bristol meeting locked

Bristol meeting

Read More